A Sermon Preached at the Cathedral Church of St. Mark Proper 25, Year A The Very Reverend Tyler B. Doherty, Dean & Rector I’ve always found it curious that after the entire sweep of the Exodus narrative--from Moses being pulled out of the reed basket in the waters of the Nile, to his near-lynching at the hands of irritated and thirsty Israelites, to the manna and the quail and water from the rock, to his glimpse of God’s hind parts from his vantage point in the cleft of the rock--should end with Moses only glimpsing the Promised Land from afar. As it says in Deuteronomy, “The Lord said to him, ‘This is the land of which I swore to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, saying, ‘I will give it to your descendants’; I have let you see it with your eyes, but you shall not cross over there.’” Huh? To add insult to injury, Moses promptly drops dead even though his eyes are still good and he is still spry at a youthful 120. And to top it all off, the greatest of all the prophets is...
Comments
Post a Comment